1) Windows Logo + M: Minimize all open Windows and Windows Logo + SHIFT + M: Restore the minimized windows
2) ALT + TAB: Hold ALT while pressing tab to select another open window, release alt to choose the highlighted program
3) F2: Press F2 when you want to rename a file or folder. Much easier than right-clicking and choosing rename!
Slow Running System
System running slowly? Many times deleting temporary files can help speed up your computer.
- A program from the developers at Piriform called CCleaner works wonders for cleaning up temporary files. Click here for the latest version (XP/7/Vista). After installation, simply launch the program and click on 'Run Cleaner'.
- Keep Adobe and Java products up to date. Around 65% of current malware based attacks are targeting Adobe and Java products, keeping these updated regularly will help keep your computer and information safe.
Concerned about the security of removable disk drives?
Use built-in tools to encrypt and protect your data from theft! In Windows Vista or Windows 7, open 'My Computer,' right click on the removable disk, and select 'Turn On BitLocker'. A wizard will launch and will walk you through the process of setting up encryption.
Auslogics Disk Defrag Application
A great tool for keeping your computer fast! (Available for free download at www.cnet.com)
• Optimizes file system
• Consolidates free space
• Can defrag automatically
• Provides flexible scheduler
• Can defrag a single file or folder
It's very important to use strong passwords. The following tips are good rules of thumb to follow:
- Password length should be around 12 to 14 characters long if permitted, and longer if possible
- Use randomly generated passwords where feasible
- Avoid any passowords based on repetition, dictionary words, letter or number sequences, usernames, relative or pet names, romantic links, or biographical information
- Include numbers, symbols, upper and lowercase letters in passwords if allowed
Malware Bytes Anti-Malware
An anti-malware application that can thoroughly remove even the most advanced malware. (Available for free download at www.cnet.com)
• Just download and install
• Open the program, select the update tab and select update
• Run a quick scan of your system
It is very important to keep up to date on Microsoft updates. Many malware programs infect computers that do not have current updates. Whenever you get a prompt from Windows to install updates, please do it at your earliest convenience.